Sunday, December 22, 2013

A Special Nativity

When Amber and Tiera were just babies, and we didn't have much money, I made this nativity.  It has been a favorite Christmas decoration ever since.  Baby Jesus has been carried around and loved by all our children, and now our grandchildren, so much so that his once white 'swaddling' is now a delicate shade of gray!  Each one of the dolls has special memories for me, because each doll's outfit is made from scraps of material from clothes I had made for the children, myself or our first home. For example, the wise men are decked out in scraps from Christmas dresses I made for myself and the girls.  Joseph's shawl and Mary's veil are scraps from the drapes I made for our first house.  The angel's dress is made from scrapes of the first temple dress I made.  So many memories.  The nativity now resides in Tiera and Scott's home.  (Amber has several other special Christmas decorations that I have made.)  She and my daughters-in-law would love to make their own nativity like this.  I was sure I saved the pattern, but somehow it has disappeared.  I remember getting it out of a magazine like Family Circle or Good Housekeeping.  They have diligently searched the internet in hopes of discovering it's origin, but to no avail!  If anyone has seen this nativity and knows where we can get the patterns, please let me know.  I keep thinking I'll take one apart to make a new pattern but I just can't bring myself to do it!

3 comments:

  1. That is a perfect nativity. I will keep my eyes open for the pattern. I keep wanting to get a nativity that my kids can pack around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the cutest nativity ever. Never take it apart. It would be easier to figure out something close than to ruin this one. What sweet memories it holds. Beautfiul!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always loved seeing your nativity. It looks like it was a lot of work to make.

    ReplyDelete